Buddy Check 3 is a partnership that was formed in July of 2003 with WSAV, the American Cancer Society and the Nancy N. and J.C. Lewis Cancer & Research Pavilion at St. Joseph’s/Candler to educate the community on good breast health.
On the third of each month, a phone bank is provided by WSAV’s TV anchor Tina Tyus-Shaw, healthcare professionals and survivors to provide a human interest story and answer questions about good breast health and breast cancer, and to provide information on local services to obtain a mammogram.
Each caller will be sent an information packet that includes:
- An introductory letter from Tina Tyus-Shaw
- A Buddy Check 3 registration card (sign up your buddy)
- American Cancer Society brochures (Cancer Facts for Women, ABC’s of Good Breast Health and The Older You Get the More You Need A Mammogram)
- A Telfair Pavilion shower card
- An LCRP rack card
- A Mobile Mammography calendar
- A brochure with contact information
- Monthly calendar reminder stickers.
This program is live on the 6 p.m. news monthly. To date we have registered over 3,500 participants in this outreach program. Tina and LCRP’s Community Outreach Coordinator, Wanda Jones, R.N., O.C.N., are broadening our scope to include students from the Chatham County School System in the year ahead. In October 2007, they presented a challenge to the Chatham County Youth Commission to join the Buddy Check 3 program and signed up over 30 participants.