St. Mary’s Community Center
St. Mary's Community Center is a community outreach initiative of
St. Joseph's/Candler and a living demonstration of its mission. The center is located in the Cuyler-Brownsville neighborhood, a struggling African-American community with a rich history and strong community spirit. The Center serves many individuals and families from Savannah's poorest census tracts. The injustices of poverty are many- unemployment, illiteracy, lack of health care, substandard housing, drugs and crime. The center strives to accompany people to improve their quality of life through:
Better academic skills in reading, math, English and writing
Individualized computer classes and Internet learning
Free tax preparation
Resume and application assistance
Job searches and interview preparation
- After-school program for children in kindergarten through eighth grade, Monday through Thursday from 3:30-5 p.m.
- Preschool program for 3 and 4 year olds, Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9 a.m.-noon.
- Public benefit enrollment assistance offered.
Ours goals are to connect people with services and to collaborate with others to bring services into the neighborhood. To this end, St. Mary's Community Center has many collaborative partners including:
- Armstrong Atlantic State University
- Catholic Diocese of Savannah
- Chatham County Health Department
- City of Savannah
- Community Health Mission
- Cuyler-Brownsville Resident Volunteers
- Cuyler-Brownsville Neighborhood Association
- Internal Revenue Service
- Mercy Corps Volunteers
- Mercy Housing
- Publix Super Market
- Savannah Technical College
- St. Joseph's/Candler
- St. Joseph's/Candler Angels of Mercy Volunteers
- Step Up Savannah's Poverty Reduction Initiative
Through tandem efforts with enthusiastic neighborhood volunteers and other collaborative partners, St. Mary's has become the central hub of the neighborhood, an essential catalyst to a renewed commitment of community passion and an interactive partner in harvesting hopeful futures.
If you believe your family income is less than 400% of the federal poverty level, there may be incentives for you in the Health Insurance Marketplace. Please call this center for more information.