The Institute for Neurosciences
Specially trained physicians and co-workers make it the most comprehensive program in the region.
The Institute for Neurosciences at St. Joseph's/Candler offers comprehensive diagnostic and treatment services for patients with neurological diseases, disorders or injuries including:
- brain and spine surgery
- endovascular neurosurgery
- comprehensive stroke care
- Movement Disorders Program, including deep-brain stimulation
- Center for Oto-Neurology
- inpatient and outpatient neurological rehabilitation.
The Institute for Neurosciences is committed to providing exceptional care by implementing best practices and partnering with our physicians in clinical research studies, as evidenced by the following:
- One of the first five hospitals in the nation to achieve the Primary Stroke Center designation awarded by the Joint Commission for Allied Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) in 2003; recertified again in 2005, 2007 and 2009.
Dedicated neuroscience facilities benefit patients by offering highly skilled physicians, specialty-trained staff, high-quality ancillary support and advanced treatment technology. Our nursing staff has earned the American Nurses Credentialing Center's (ANCC) highest recognition of "Magnet" status.
- Our dedicated Neuroscience units include:
- Neurologic Intensive Care Unit
- Neurologic Intermediate Care Unit
- neurological medical/surgical nursing
- neurological operating rooms
- acute inpatient rehabilitation
- Subacute/SNF Unit
- outpatient rehabilitation
- community outreach and education
- patient and family support groups.
Annual Program Volumes
Neurosurgical Procedures: 1,900
Inpatient Admissions: 2,000
Stroke Admissions: 650