Mary Telfair Women's Hospital
You will find Mary Telfair's vision of women's healthcare throughout St. Joseph's/Candler
Mary Telfair, born in 1789, was independent, well-traveled and filled with dreams--truly a woman ahead of her time. One of her most significant visions was to establish a special place where women could receive respectful, understanding and compassionate care for their health needs.
In 1875, only a few days before her death, Mary placed a provision in her will that allowed for the erection of such a hospital in the city of Savannah—The Telfair Hospital for Females opened in 1886.
In 1960, The Telfair Hospital for Females joined with Candler General Hospital to become its official obstetrical unit. In 1997, Candler General Hospital signed a joint operating agreement with St. Joseph's Hospital, creating the region's largest healthcare provider.
Mary Telfair Women's Hospital, a regional leader in the delivery of women's healthcare services, provides a full array of obstetrical,
|The old Telfair Hospital for Women on Park Avenue.|
Every day the dedicated experts at Mary Telfair Women's Hospital strive to adhere to Mary's vision: a system of compassionate care that puts the physical and emotional needs of women and their families first.