St. Joseph's/Candler Center for Imaging Services offers lung cancer screenings
The St. Joseph's/Candler Center for Imaging Services and the Nancy N. and J.C. Lewis Cancer & Research Pavilion encourage those eligible to have a lung cancer screening. There are four convenient locations in Savannah, Pooler and Bluffton to have a screening done.
What is a lung cancer screening?
By using a CT scan for lung cancer screening, a radiologist can detect lung nodules that may be cancerous. As a result, lung cancer may be detected earlier, before symptoms appear, and when it is often the most treatable.
Why should I get screened?
Heart disease and lung cancer are the major causes of death among heavy smokers. Research shows a clear benefit for CT lung cancer screening for individuals who meet strict criteria. In fact, the National Cancer Institute recently conducted a lung screening study which included more than 50,000 high risk patients. Results showed that annual lung CT screening can detect lung cancer sooner and can reduce death rates from lung cancer by 20% in high risk smokers older than 55 years.
Who should get screened?
The individuals who may benefit from an annual CT lung cancer screening are, but not limited to, the following:
- 50 years old and older (for Medicare, you must be between 55 and 77 years old)
- At least a 30 pack/year history of smoking (example: 1 pack per day X 30 years = 30 pack/years)
- Current smoker or quit less than 15 years ago
- Family history of lung cancer in a first-degree relative
- Exposure to radon, or contact with other cancer-causing agents (asbestos, chromium, arsenic, beryllium, cadmium, nickel, coal smoke, soot, silica and diesel fumes)
If you feel you may benefit from a lung cancer screening, discuss with your physician. The cost of screening may be covered by your insurance. A self-pay discount will apply.
St. Joseph's/Candler Imaging Locations
Choose from four convenient locations to schedule your screening:
1. Candler Hospital
5353 Reynolds Street, Savannah
2. St. Joseph's Hospital
11705 Mercy Blvd., Savannah
3. Imaging Center-Pooler
105 Grand Central Blvd., Suite 106, Pooler
4. Imaging Center-Bluffton
Belfair Town Village
10A Oak Forest Road, Bluffton