Quiz – On Bended Knee
The anterior cruciate ligament, or ACL, is one of the four main ligaments in a person’s knee, where the thigh bone, or femur, meets the shin bone, or tibia. If it tears, which is unfortunately a fairly common occurrence in certain sports, it can create an instability that may not only take you out of the game but also lead to further damage down the line. Take our quiz to learn more:
1. An ACL injury can occur if you:
A. Get hit very hard on the side of your knee, such as during a football tackle
B. Overextend the knee joint
C. Quickly stop moving and change direction while running, landing from a jump, or turning
D. All of the above
2. Most ACL injuries do not heal on their own.
3. First aid for a torn ACL may include all of the following EXCEPT:
A. Raising your leg above the level of the heart
B. Putting ice on the knee
C. Using a splint to keep the knee straight until you see a doctor
D. Taking pain relievers, such as ibuprofen
4. Men are more likely than women to have an ACL tear.
5. Athletes who have torn their ACL may need:
A. Crutches to walk until the swelling and pain get better
B. Physical therapy to help improve joint motion and leg strength
C. Surgery to rebuild the ACL
D. All of the above
1. D. All of the above. These injuries are common in football, basketball, soccer, and skiing.
2. A. True. Most tears are seen in the middle of the ligament, or the ligament is pulled off the thigh bone. These injuries form a gap between the torn edges.
3. C. Do NOT use a splint to keep the knee straight and do not move your knee if you have had a serious injury.
4. B. False. Women are more likely than men to have an ACL tear.
5. D. All of the above. Some people can live and function normally with a torn ACL, but most complain that their knee is unstable, especially during physical activity. Unrepaired ACL tears can lead to further knee damage.
Source: The Health Library
. Visit us to learn more about ACL injuries
or other conditions affecting your body and your health.