St. Joseph’s Hospital History
St. Joseph's Hospital, a tradition in Savannah since 1875.
The hospital's mission to care for the sick and injured is a legacy spanning more than 120 years. It is a 305-bed, general acute care facility situated on Mercy Boulevard on Savannah's South side.
1875-1876 - Responding to the plight of sick seamen, the Sisters of Mercy are contracted to operate the Forest City Marine Hospital. Better facilities and more space soon prompted a move to downtown Savannah. The hospital was renamed St. Joseph's Infirmary.
1901 - The hospital expanded (the Annex); the name became St. Joseph's Hospital.
1913 - The Flannery Memorial Wing opened.
1950s - St. John's Hall (the city's first psychiatric unit) and an obstetrical clinic for families with limited incomes opened.
1960-1970 - The Sisters of Mercy moved the hospital from its downtown location to the city's spacious South side, an area with high growth potential. The seven-story structure, situated on 28 acres, was dedicated on August 15, 1970.
1977 - Neuroscience opened its Oto-Neurology department, now known as the Center for Oto-Neurology.
1981-1990 - St. Joseph's opened the city's first Ambulatory Care Center.
1986 - Hospital surgeons won the right to perform open heart surgery at St. Joseph's.
1997 - St. Joseph's Hospital entered into a joint operating agreement with Candler Hospital and together formed St. Joseph's/Candler, the region's largest and most experienced health care provider.