Center for Diabetes Management helps people with diabetes through education and support
With more than 100 million Americans living with diabetes or prediabetes, it’s more important than ever to educate and properly manage this potentially deadly disease.
St. Joseph’s/Candler offers a diabetes management programs through our Center for Diabetes Management. With a physician referral, individuals with diabetes or at high risk of getting the disease can join our counseling program. Our diabetes management programs are designed to enhance the quality of life for people with diabetes by:
- Promoting understanding of the disease and its management
- Teaching self-care skills
- Preventing complications
These programs utilize a multidisciplinary approach with certified diabetes educators, registered nurses specializing in diabetes management and clinical dietitians. They work together with the patient to assess, set goals, offer support and help with decision making. Family member participation in these programs is strongly encouraged.
Our outpatient Diabetes Management Program is recognized by the American Diabetes Association and was recently recognized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. This designation is reserved for programs that have effectively delivered a quality, evidence-based program that meets all the standards of the CDC recognition.
Year-long Diabetes Management Program at St. Joseph’s/Candler
St. Joseph’s/Candler offers a comprehensive, year-long program at the Center for Diabetes Management for patients who are newly or previously diagnosed with diabetes. These patients may or may not have complications.
All services offered through this program meet the American Diabetes Association recommended guidelines for diabetes management. A physicians referral is required.
The Comprehensive Diabetes Management Program offers the following:
- Education and other services that provide comprehensive diabetes management that meets national standards
- Provided by registered nurses and licensed dietitians who are certified diabetes educators
- Home glucose monitoring equipment and supplies
- Lab work to monitor diabetes control
- Foot exam
- Dilated retinal eye exam
- Quarterly follow-up Diabetes Management Center visits throughout the year with a case manager
- Flu vaccine
- Smoking cessation programs as needed
The program is 100 percent covered for St. Joseph’s/Candler co-workers and Chatham County employees. It’s also offered to the public for an out-of-pocket cost. Please call 912-819-6146 for more pricing details.
Year-long Pre-Diabetes Management Program at St. Joseph’s/Candler
Additionally, St. Joseph’s/Candler offers a comprehensive, year-long program for people with prediabetes or those at risk for developing Type 2 diabetes. Participants learn how to eat healthy, add physical activity to their routine, manage stress, stay motivated and solve problems that can get in the way of healthy changes.
The health benefits include:
- CDC approved curriculum with lessons, handouts and other resources to help you make healthy changes.
- A lifestyle coach, specially trained to lead the program, to help you learn new skills, encourage you to set and meet goals and keep you motivated. The coach will also facilitate discussions and help make the program fun and engaging.
- A support group of people with similar goals and challenges. Together, you can share ideas, celebrate successes and work to overcome obstacles.
- Candler Wellness Center membership throughout the program duration.
- Biometrics and A1C at the beginning of the program, then once every six months.
A physicians’ referral is required. The program is 100 percent covered for St. Joseph’s/Candler co-workers and Chatham County employees. It’s also offered to the public for an out-of-pocket cost. Please call 912-819-6146 for more pricing details.
Medical Nutrition Therapy
This service is provided for adults and/or children which includes one-on-one sessions with a registered dietitian for specific medical concerns that need to be addressed nutritionally. Nutrition therapy to include but not limited to cholesterol reduction, sodium control, weight management, GI disorders and renal diseases.
City of Savannah Employees
City of Savannah employees are covered for up to four hours of FREE dietary counseling sessions per year.
Center for Diabetes Management
5356 Reynolds Street, Suite 120
Savannah, Ga. 31405
Hours: 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday