Hyperbarics and Wound Care Frequently Asked Questions
What is hyperbaric oxygen therapy?
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy (HBO) floods the blood supply with oxygen at greater than normal atmospheric pressure. This oxygen enhances the function of white blood cells and encourages the development of new capillaries.
How long does HBO treatment take?
This depends on your diagnosis; however, most treatments take approximately 120 minutes.
What are chronic wounds?
Chronic wounds do not improve significantly or heal within four weeks.
How can patients with diabetes prevent foot ulcers?
- Quit smoking
- Control blood sugar
- Conduct daily foot hygiene
- Wear proper footwear
- Avoid foot trauma
- Never walk barefoot
- Inspect your shoes for small objects
- Avoid blood vessel pressure
- Do not sit with legs crossed
- Wear loose socks and stockings
- See a healthcare professional as quickly as possible should a problem develop