For new Telfair Moms
Thank you for choosing to have your new baby at the Mary Telfair Women's Hospital at St. Joseph's/Candler. Now that you are home, things get really fun. But sometimes they are complicated as well. Below is a trove of information that you can reference at any time to help you as you and your child grow together.
A New Beginning
Your baby's birth is one of the most precious and memorable times of your life. Congratulations! And the experienced nurses in the Telfair BirthPlace offer you all the best advice while you are in the hospital.
But when you come home and your baby starts growing, don't think that that support is gone. Below we offer up the best advice from our discharge book, A New Beginning: Your Personal Guide to Postpartum Care.
This information is designed to enhance care, so don't forget to go to your regular follow-up appointments with your OB/GYN and pediatrician.
First Steps is a community-based parenting support and education program that is provided to families of newborns after the birth of their baby at The Telfair BirthPlace. Support continues after mom and baby leave the hospital as well.
Because a new baby requires a lifestyle adjustment, First Steps is a safety net for everyone. Even families who have other children change when a new child is added to the family. The goal of First Steps is to enrich family life and help promote the healthy growth and development of children. First Steps is staffed by volunteers from the community.
The First Steps program provides:
- A personal visit prenatally or following birth
- Parenting information on topics such as:
- infant crying
- child and home safety
- early childhood brain development
- parent and infant health and wellness
- child development
- selecting caregivers
- readiness for school
- A local community resource guide for new parents
- Access to a telephone helpline
- Outreach to all participants through follow-up contacts providing support and answering parent’s questions
For more information, contact First Steps Coordinator Marie Miles at 912-819-6911.
St. Joseph’s/Candler has a team of breastfeeding professionals, including internationally board-certified lactation consultants, which are available to assist you with lactation needs. They are on hand during your stay at the Telfair BirthPlace and available by phone after you and baby leave.
Learn more about our lactation services and breastfeeding warm-line here
Birth certificate application
The hospital does not issue birth certificates; however, we can help you with the application process. For more information and for a copy of the application, please click here.
We've partnered with Mom365 to offer our Telfair mom's the opportunity to have professional photography of your baby right in your hospital room.
You can make these photos even more special by following a few of the suggested tips below.
Photography Suggested Tips:
- Bring your favorite baby blanket or afghan from home for use in the photo shoot. A beautiful blanket can add texture, color and memories to your newborn's photo.
- Often newborn clothes are still too big for your baby. Consider photographing in just a diaper with a nice blanket. Even the hospital "onesie" makes a great photo!
- We love to include parents’ hands in our photos. Wear clear or very neutral nail polish on the day of your shoot. We want your baby to be the focus of the photos.
- Bring a solid black, brown or gray shirt to wear in the photos. These colors look good in both color and black and white and allows us to include you if you wish.