Frequently Asked Questions

When should I be concerned about my child's fever?

If your child's fever remains over 101·F and cannot be reduced by Tylenol or Motrin, notify your physician.

How can I get my child to drink fluids?

Encourage your child with flavored drinks. Popsicles and cold drinks will help a sore throat. You may give your child ice chips one teaspoon at a time.

How do I know if my child is dehydrated?

Signs of dehydration include decrease in urination, fewer diaper changes, strong urine odor, dryness of mouth and lips, or excessive thirst.

What is a seizure?

The most common cause of a seizure in pediatric patients is high fever. Uncontrollable shaking or jerking movements to the extremities or entire body will be noted. The child will not be responsive.

How do I know if my child is having a seizure?

If you notice uncontrollable shaking movements and your child does not respond to you, call 911.

What should I do if my child is having a seizure?

If it is related to a fever, try fever-reducing methods. Protect the airway by placing the child on his or her side. Do not force anything in the child's mouth. Protect the child from injury by moving any objects or furniture. Do not use restraint. Call 911.

What are the signs of choking?

If your child is coughing and moving air by making noise around the obstruction, let him or her cough until it clears. If your child is gasping for air and no sounds are noted, call 911 and perform the abdominal thrust maneuver, if trained.

What should I do if I think my child has swallowed a poisonous substance?

Call 911 or your local poison control center at (800) 222-1222.

Should I be concerned if my child wets the bed?

Bed-wetting is considered normal through age 6. Most children overcome it between the ages of 6 and 10.

Find a Physician

Meet the team at St. Joseph's/Candler

Our team of highly-skilled doctors are experienced in many aspects of healthcare from primary care to emergent care to specialty care. Find a physician that meets your needs.

How can we help you?