National Recognition for Patient Care Excellence
St. Joseph's/Candler has a strong history of national award winning patient care excellence. With national certifications and accreditations in cancer care, rehabilitation, nursing, imaging quality and advanced laboratory processing, St. Joseph's/Candler delivers excellence every day to our patients. We take pride in achieving these high standards of care, yet continue to reach for improved patient experiences and stronger outcomes.
The Joint Commission
The Joint Commission evaluates and accredits more than 20,000 health care organizations and programs in the United States. An independent, not-for-profit organization, The Joint Commission is the nation's oldest and largest standards-setting and accrediting body in health care. To earn and maintain The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval, an organization must undergo an on-site survey by a Joint Commission survey team at least every three years.
St. Joseph’s/Candler holds quality as one of the Core Values of the health system. Quality and safety are also a part of the strategic goals for St. Joseph’s/Candler. A variety of internal and external initiatives contribute to the strategic importance of quality, safety, and transparency. Achieving the highest level of performance supported by efficient and safe processes is the result of the contributions made by all levels of staff in the system. One way this is recognized is by our sustained performance based on and continued accreditation by The Joint Commission for the hospitals, home care, laboratory, and Primary Stroke Center. In our most recent surveys, The Joint Commission granted our organization an accreditation decision of Accredited for all services surveyed at St. Joseph’s and Candler Hospital, which is indicative of our commitment to high quality patient care delivered in the most safe and efficient manner. The Health System participates in a “Continuous Service Readiness” program to ensure compliance with established standards and implement ways to continuously improve.
Magnet Designation for Excellence in Nursing Service
In 2002, St. Joseph's/Candler was designated as a Magnet facility recognizing excellence in nursing services, becoming the only local health institution to achieve such status.
This recognition, awarded by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, is a premier benchmark for excellence reflecting a health care organization's delivery of patient care and the contribution of nurses.
The award is reflective of the highest quality of professional nursing care, promotion and support of nursing development, and nursing leadership.
St. Joseph's/Candler has been redesignated as a Magnet facility three times since 2002 - a rare accomplishment of status that is shared with only 29 hospitals sites in the world.
American College of Radiology (ACR)
ACR is the worldwide professional organization for radiologists that validates the image quality of X-rays. This accreditation is important to our facilities because the American College of Radiology insures that we provide imaging services that are safe, effective and accessible to those who need it. The mission of the ACR is to serve patients and society by maximizing the value of radiology, radiation oncology, interventional radiology, nuclear medicine and medical physics by advancing the science of radiology, improving the quality of patient care, positively influencing the socio-economics of the practice of radiology, providing continuing education for radiology and allied health professions and conducting research for the future of radiology.
ACR at the Nancy N. and J.C. Lewis Cancer & Research Pavilion
The Radiation Oncology Center at the Nancy N. and J.C. Lewis Cancer & Research Pavilion, has been awarded a three-year term of accreditation in radiation oncology as the result of a recent review by the American College of Radiology.
The ACR seal of accreditation represents the highest level of quality and patient safety. It is awarded only to facilities meeting specific Practice Guidelines and Technical Standards developed by ACR after a peer-review evaluation by board-certified radiation oncologists and medical physicists who are experts in the field. Patient care and treatment, patient safety, personnel qualifications, adequacy of facility equipment, quality control procedures, and quality assurance programs are assessed. The findings are reported to the ACR Committee on Radiation Oncology Accreditation, which subsequently provides the practice with a comprehensive report they can use for continuous practice improvement
American College of Radiology Accreditations
- MRI accredited at St. Joseph's Hospital, Candler Hospital and SJ/C Imaging - Pooler
- Ultrasound accredited at St. Joseph's through ACAVL
- Mammography accredited on both campuses and Telfair Breast Imaging - Eisenhower as required by FDA/ACR
- Ultrasound on both campuses and Telfair Breast Imaging - Eisenhower
- CT on both campuses and SJ/ C Imaging - Pooler
- Nuclear Medicine on both campuses
- PET-CT on both campuses
- Ultrasound - vascular at St. Joseph's Hospital
College of American Pathologists (CAP)
St. Joseph's Hospital, Candler Hospital and the Lewis Infusion Center laboratories all received accreditation from the CAP Laboratory Accreditation Program, recognized by the federal government as being equal to or more stringent than the government's own inspection program. Inspectors examine records, quality control, staff, facilities, equipment, safety and management to determine how well the laboratory is serving patients.
Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF)
Our Center for Rehabilitation is accredited by CARF, a private, not-for-profit organization promoting quality rehabilitation services. CARF accreditation means patients can be confident we have made a quality commitment to these services and programs.
National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers
SJ/C earned the prestigious accreditation from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers. The accreditation recognizes the complete spectrum of breast services available at the Telfair Pavilion and the Nancy N. and J.C. Lewis Cancer & Research Pavilion from mammography to surgery to radiation oncology.
American College of Surgeons (ACS)
St. Joseph's/Candler is one of only three networks in the United States granted approval by the Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons, which sets standards for cancer programs. As a recipient of this prestigious honor, St. Joseph's/Candler ensures patients have access to:
- Quality care close to home
- Comprehensive care - a range of state-of-the-art services and equipment
- A multi-specialty team approach to coordinate the best treatment options
- Information resources about clinical trials, education and support
- Lifelong patient follow-up through a cancer registry that collects data on type and stage of cancers and treatment results
- Ongoing monitoring and improvement of care
Intersocietal Commission for the Accreditation of Vascular Laboratories (ICAVL)
St. Joseph's Hospital has achieved accreditation from ICAVL. We have accreditation in carotid, arterial and venous vascular ultrasounds.
- Get with the Guidelines, an American Heart Association’s collaborative performance improvement program, demonstrated to improve adherence to evidence-based care of patients hospitalized with stroke. Both St. Joseph's Hospital and Candler Hospital earned Silver Plus for Stroke.
- Participation in Georgia Hospital Association, Partnership for Health Accountability, Moving Georgia to the Top Ten initiative, St. Joseph’s/Candler has achieved “Top Ten” status by being in the Joint commission 90th percentile for AMI, Heart Failure, and Pneumonia appropriate care measures.
- Other Quality/Performance Improvement initiatives include Premier/QUEST, Quality, Efficiency, Safety, and Transparency program with measures covering evidenced based care, inpatient and outpatient, Cost of Care, Mortality, Harm, Patient Experience, and Readmissions. Candler Hospital Composite Score for Inpatient.
- Evidenced Based Care fourth quarter 2012 is 94%. St. Joseph’s Composite Score for Inpatient Evidenced Based Care fourth quarter 2012 is 96%. Outpatient Evidenced Based Care for Candler is 99% and for St. Joseph’s is 99%.
- St. Joseph’s and Candler Hospitals also participate in the Quality-In-Sights (Q-HIP): Hospital Incentive Program. Q-HIP is an Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield hospital quality program that evaluates our network hospitals based on patient safety, health outcomes and patient satisfaction Candler Hospital Score: 88.62 and St. Joseph’s Hospital Score: 77.18. out of 107 possible.
For more information on St. Joseph's/Candler, please contact:
(800) 622-6877 (Georgia and South Carolina)