Howard Hand In Hand Support Program For Children
A $150,000 donation from Howard Family Dental will bolster a free program that helps children cope when facing the serious illness of a parent or loved one.
The new Howard Hand In Hand Support Program for Children at St. Joseph’s/Candler will provide support, education and guidance to children and teens with a family member facing a life threatening disease.
This free program will help children cope with and process their thoughts and feelings –often fear, sadness, anger, confusion--about how life has changed for them and their families because of illness or disease.
Howard Hand In Hand is open to the children of any patient with a serious illness.
When: Our children's social worker will have scheduled sessions Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.
But one on one sessions can be scheduled if that fits the child and parent's needs best.
Contact: To learn more, sign up for a session or schedule some one on one time, please call 912-819-5704.
The Howard Hand In Hand program features:
- One-on-one counseling in a location convenient for both child and family.
- Maximizing the child’s support system.
- Facilitating honest communication about the illness and their emotions.
- Addressing common questions.
- Guiding children affected by anticipatory grief.
Monthly Support Groups
- Age-appropriate support groups meet once a month for an hour at the Nancy N. and J.C. Lewis Cancer & Research Pavilion.
- Led by a Social Worker who interacts with the children by using fun games and activities.
- Allows the child to feel less alone and open up about their feelings.
- A parent or loved one may be present to hear interaction between child and social worker.
Why Howard Family Dental Chose to Give
After losing his own mother to cancer as a child, Dr. John Howard, Founder of Howard Family Dental, desired to support children in a similar situation. Children of cancer patients that are unsure what is happening within their family, why their family member is not feeling well or acting the same and who they can talk to about their family member's illness. Dr. Lindsay Sammons, Director of Howard Family Dental Foundation, also experienced her mother's fight against breast cancer as a young girl. Fortunately, her mother is in remission. Dr. Lindsay knows firsthand how cancer can affect the entire family. Together with St. Joseph's/Candler Foundations and the support of all Howard Family Dental team members, HFD has vowed to raise funds and support the Howard Hand in Hand program.