Mercy Rose Window greets patients, visitors to St. Joseph’s Hospital's new atrium

Patients and visitors to the newly expanded St. Joseph’s Hospital outpatient entrance are greeted by beautiful stained glass in the open atrium. Soon to be hanging high above the entryway is the Mercy Rose Window. The rose window weighs 800 pounds and measures eight feet in diameter.

The Mercy Rose Window is by Savannah artist Carl G. Fougerousse. The specially commissioned piece vibrantly depicts the journey of the Sisters of Mercy over the course of their time in Savannah. Eight individual panes illustrate the Sisters of Mercy’s ongoing ministry and commitment to education, health and the underserved. With the love of Christ at their core, the Sisters of Mercy have forever left an indelible mark on the health and wellbeing of generations of Georgians.

 

Depictions of the Journey

(clockwise from the top):

Pane One: The Sisters of Mercy arrive in Savannah in 1845 establishing St. Vincent’s Academy as an orphanage and a school.

Pane Two: In 1875, the Sisters are asked to assist with the care of sick seaman at the Forest City Marine Hospital on East Broad and Gordon streets.

Pane Three: Later in 1875, the Sisters move hospital operations to the site of the Georgia Medical College building on Taylor and Habersham streets, renaming it St. Joseph’s Infirmary.

Pane Four: Shortly after beginning operations as St. Joseph’s Hospital, the Sisters of Mercy cared for the city’s sick and dying during the Yellow Fever Epidemics of the mid to late 1870s.

Pane Five: Generations were educated by the Sisters of Mercy, who founded and staffed several local parochial schools, as well as an orphanage at St. Mary’s Home on Victory Drive.

Pane Six: Limited and landlocked in downtown Savannah, St. Joseph’s Hospital moved to its current location on Mercy Boulevard in 1970.

Pane Seven: In 1997, St. Joseph’s Hospital and Candler Hospital signed a joint operating agreement and formed the region’s largest health system: St. Joseph’s/Candler.

Pane Eight: The indelible spirit and works of Mercy are represented by the organization’s foundress Catherine McAuley, while the ties that bind the Sisters to our community are depicted by the endless interwoven bands of the Celtic knot, also an homage to their Irish lineage. 

 

About the artist

Carl G. Fougerousse earned his Masters in Fine Arts with a specialization in figurative painting at the New York Academy of Art, and his BA in Philosophy at Franciscan University of Steubenville, Ohio. Living in Italy for many years had a deep influence on his sense of aesthetic and his interest in Italian Renaissance and Baroque drawing and painting techniques, which have been at the center of his personal research and studio practice for several years. He is the founder of Red Fern Stained Glass & Fine Arts Studio, where he takes on commissions as draftsman, painter, sculptor, and craftsman in the manufacturing of works in stained glass, mosaic, and carpentry. 

  • St. Joseph's Hospital Campus: 11705 Mercy Blvd., Savannah, GA 31419, (p) 912-819-4100
  • Candler Hospital Campus: 5353 Reynolds St., Savannah, GA 31405, (p) 912-819-6000
  • Find us on:

St.Joseph's Hospital Campus: 912-819-4100

Candler Hospital Campus: 912-819-6000