Make a Positive Impact on Your Community by Volunteering at St. Joseph's/Candler
The Volunteer Services Department is designed to assist the Health System in its mission of treating illness and promoting wellness for all people. Our volunteers do not replace staff members, but assist them in providing quality care by being an extra pair of hands and a smiling face.
Adult Auxiliary Volunteer Program
It takes a special person to be a member of the St. Joseph’s Hospital Auxiliary and the Candler Hospital Auxiliary. Members of our Auxiliaries have demonstrated their concern for our community and our patients since 1963. There are more than 200 dedicated men and women who currently dedicate their time and talents to our health system, so you know you are involved in a worthwhile endeavor.
We have openings for men and women who would like to be in non-nursing and nursing areas. Being a member of the Auxiliary gives you an opportunity to be an integral participant in our patients hospital stay and make new friends along the way.
Volunteers select their day and shift they would like to work. Shifts are 4 hours each and are available 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
How to Become an Auxiliary Volunteer
- Complete and submit the application and background check form.
- If you were born after 1957, you are required to submit Immunization Records to show evidence of two MMR vaccinations, or provide results of a titer test showing adequate levels of immunity.
- After we receive your application, we will submit your criminal background request to our Human Resources Department. Once we receive notice of your clearance (usually at least five business days) you wil be contacted by a member of our staff to schedule a convenient time for an orientation. After orientation, we will send you to our Occupational Health Department which will give you a TB test. After cleared with Occupational Health, you will visit Human Resources for your Identification Badge and then begin volunteering.
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer, please fill out our Auxiliary volunteer application.
College Student Volunteer Program
The Health System has several areas which are available for college students to volunteer. If you are a student looking for specific experience in areas such as Physical Therapy or Occupational Therapy, please complete our PT/OT Student Packet.
If you would like to volunteer in our Emergency Room, please complete the steps bleow:
How to Become a College Student Volunteer
- Print out and submit the application.
- Submit Immunization Record (must have 2 MMRs).
- Submit one Counselor/Teacher recommendation
- Submit criminal background check dated within 30 days of application date.
Once the entire Application Packet is received, you will be contacted by a member of our staff to schedule an Orientation session. Please keep in mind that we will not contact you until all required items are received.
If you are interested, please fill out our College Student application.
Youth Volunteer Program
Each summer, St. Joseph’s/Candler offers a program for high school students to experience the hospital environment. Students must be at least 14 years old by June 1st and at minimum entering the 9th grade. Applications are only accepted from January 1st until March 15th each year. The Youth Program typically runs 8 weeks during the summer. Applicants must be able to volunteer at least 7 of the 8 weeks. Please call (912) 819-6185 to have an application packet mailed to you. Application decisions are made by April 15th.
Communications should be sent to:
Attn: Volunteer Services
5353 Reynolds Street
Savannah, GA 31405
Special Note: We occasionally receive questions about shadowing health care professionals. These arrangements are made entirely by the individual wishing to shadow by going through a specific health care professional. The health care provider will contact our Medical Staff Office for all appropriate documentation.
- St. Joseph's Hospital (912) 819-3393
- Candler Hospital (912) 819-6185