A Patient-Friendly MRI Experience from
Traditional MRI machines can sometimes be difficult on patients. St. Joseph’s/Candler is changing that. We've added the region's first Discovery MR750w 3.0 MR system by GE.
This system is designed to help maximize patient comfort with:
- The opening is 17 percent wider than any other MRI in the industry, more like a CT
- The machine is much quieter
- Faster imaging time or more detailed images with a magnetic field is double that of traditional MRIs
- A table surface is like a mattress and designed to alleviate pressure points
- A coil array that allows feet-first imaging for all exams
In addition, this new system delivers uncompromised imaging capability for different specialties.
- The improved resolution of 3T MRI technology reveals the structure of the brain in ways not possible on lower field strength scanners.
- 3T MRI shows microscopic details of the brain and nervous system enabling consultants to gain a greater understanding of neuropathologies. This can contribute to earlier diagnoses and treatments which can help patient outcomes.
- More definitive diagnosis for neurological disorders.
- The extra power of the 3T MRI can reduce the need for invasive diagnostic procedures.
- It is particularly beneficial when imaging smaller joints - the foot, ankle, hand and wrist.
- Examines the size and thickness of the chambers of the heart, determines the extent of damage caused by a heart attack/progressive heart disease, detects the build-up of plaque and blockages in the blood vessels and assesses patient recovery following treatment - faster than traditional MRI.
- Faster imaging helps sick patients and may suffer from irregular heart rates who may have difficulty holding their breath during the procedure.
- Extremely beneficial in imaging peripheral vascular areas, such as the calf and feet areas.
- Improved spatial and temporal resolution capabilities provide for improved detection and characterization of breast cancer.
- Full body imaging capabilities allow for thinner slices and higher resolution which provide for better lesion characterization, especially in images of the liver.
- Provides additional clinical information for treatment in terms of prostate cancer staging.
- Patients with compromised kidney function can now be imaged without contrast for initial or follow-up visits, reducing the potential risk of causing injury to the renal system.
Make an Appointment
The new MRI is only available at St. Joseph’s Hospital.
11705 Mercy Blvd.
Savannah, GA 31419