St. Mary’s Community Center in Savannah, GA
St. Mary's Community Center is a community outreach initiative of St. Joseph's/Candler and a living demonstration of our mission. The center is located in the Cuyler-Brownsville neighborhood, a struggling African-American community with a rich history and strong community spirit.
Upcoming Job Fair:
Please join us for a multi-vendor job fair at St. Mary's Community Center on Wednesday, April 20 from 9 a.m. to noon. Employers in attendance include: St. Joseph's/Candler, Savannah-Chatham County Public School System, Georgia Regional Hospital, ESS, Horizon Staffing, The Reserve Network, Coca Cola Bottling Co. and Hire Dynamics.
We also will be recruiting for our new CNA and PCT apprentice program. You can go ahead and apply and learn more here: www.sjchs.org/cna-pct-apprentice
Come dressed to impress with resumes in hand. St. Mary's Community Center is located at 812 W. 36th Street, Savannah, Ga. 31415. For more information call 912-447-0578.
The Center serves many individuals and families from Savannah's poorest census tracts. The injustices of poverty are many - unemployment, illiteracy, lack of health care, substandard housing, drugs and crime. The center strives to accompany people to improve their quality of life through:
- Resumes/Cover letters
- Job searches and applications
- Interview preparation
- Job readiness skills
- Employment workshops
- Job fairs
- Email address set up/recovery
Free Tax Preparation
- FREE federal and state tax preparation in January and February
- Each year the Center trains volunteers who become IRS Certified to prepare BASIC tax forms (no itemization)
- At the end of January throughout February, these volunteers help people keep all their refunds instead of paying a portion to a paid preparer.
- Hours are throughout the week and on Saturdays
- Call for specific hours
- Staff completes applications online for the clients; more than 3,000 applications are processed each year.
- Public Benefit hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and Monday through Thursday 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- New and renewal applications are submitted for the following:
- SNAP (formerly food stamps)
- Medicare for children and adults
- Medicaid denial letters for Medbank
- Pregnancy Medicaid applications
Eye Exams & Glasses
- Eyeglasses starting at $30 through Prevent Blindness Georgia (must have prescription)
- To get prescription:
- Free eye exams for uninsured St. Mary's Community Center (waitlist).
- Contact your insurance or health care office for in-network eye doctors
- Free copies/faxes/scanning
- Free notary public
- Computer Lab
- Hours: Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and Monday through Thursday 1:15 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Free bread and sweets from Publix
- First come, first serve
- Bread day and hours: Thursdays 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.
Connect with St. Mary’s Community Center
For more information on the programs offered at St. Mary’s Community Center, please call 912-447-0578 or visit:
812 W. 36th St.
Savannah, Ga. 31415
Hours: Monday – Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Closed for lunch from Noon to 1 p.m.)
Friday: 8:30 a.m. to Noon