St. Mary’s Community Center in Savannah, GA
St. Mary's Community Center is a community outreach initiative of St. Joseph's/Candler and a living demonstration of our mission. The center is located in the Cuyler-Brownsville neighborhood, a struggling African-American community with a rich history and strong community spirit.
The Center serves many individuals and families from Savannah's poorest census tracts. The injustices of poverty are many - unemployment, illiteracy, lack of health care, substandard housing, drugs and crime. The center strives to accompany people to improve their quality of life through:
- Resumes/Cover letters
- Job searches and applications
- Interview preparation
- Job readiness skills
- Employment workshops
- Job fairs
- Email address set up/recovery
Free Tax Preparation
- FREE federal and state tax preparation in January and February
- Each year the Center trains volunteers who become IRS Certified to prepare BASIC tax forms (no itemization)
- At the end of January throughout February, these volunteers help people keep all their refunds instead of paying a portion to a paid preparer.
- Hours are throughout the week and on Saturdays
- Call for specific hours
- Staff completes applications online for the clients; more than 3,000 applications are processed each year.
- Public Benefit hours are Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and Monday through Thursday 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- New and renewal applications are submitted for the following:
- SNAP (formerly food stamps)
- Medicare for children and adults
- Medicaid denial letters for Medbank
- Pregnancy Medicaid applications
Eye Exams & Glasses
- Eyeglasses starting at $30 through Prevent Blindness Georgia (must have prescription)
- To get prescription:
- Free eye exams for uninsured St. Mary's Community Center (waitlist).
- Contact your insurance or health care office for in-network eye doctors
- Free copies/faxes/scanning
- Free notary public
- Computer Lab
- Hours: Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and Monday through Thursday 1:15 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Free bread and sweets from Publix
- First come, first serve
- Bread day and hours: Thursdays 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m.
Connect with St. Mary’s Community Center
For more information on the programs offered at St. Mary’s Community Center, please call 912-447-0578 or visit:
812 W. 36th St.
Savannah, Ga. 31415
Hours: Monday – Thursday 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. (Closed for lunch from Noon to 1 p.m.)
Friday: 8:30 a.m. to Noon