St. Mary’s Community Center in Savannah, GA
St. Mary's Community Center is a community outreach initiative of St. Joseph's/Candler and a living demonstration of its mission. The center is located in the Cuyler-Brownsville neighborhood, a struggling African-American community with a rich history and strong community spirit.
About St. Mary's Community Center
The Center serves many individuals and families from Savannah's poorest census tracts. The injustices of poverty are many - unemployment, illiteracy, lack of health care, substandard housing, drugs and crime. The center strives to accompany people to improve their quality of life through:
Education/Job Training Services
- Better academic skills: GED preparation
- Preparation for Savannah Technical College entrance exam
- Free tax preparation January and February each year
- Resume and application assistance
- Job searches and interview preparation
- Public benefit applications including SNAP (food stamps), Medicaid
- Free eye exams and low-cost glasses for uninsured individuals
Ours goals are to connect people with services and to collaborate with others to bring services into the neighborhood. To this end, St. Mary's Community Center has many collaborative partners including:
- Georgia Southern Armstrong Campus
- Georgia Eye Institute
- Prevent Blindness Georgia
- Internal Revenue Service
- Mercy Corps Volunteers
- Publix Super Market
- Savannah Technical College
- St. Joseph's/Candler
- St. Joseph's/Candler Angels of Mercy Volunteers
- Step Up Savannah's Poverty Reduction Initiative
Through tandem efforts with enthusiastic neighborhood volunteers and other collaborative partners, St. Mary's has become the central hub of the neighborhood, an essential catalyst to a renewed commitment of community passion and an interactive partner in harvesting hopeful futures.
If you believe your family income is less than 400% of the federal poverty level, there may be incentives for you in the Health Insurance Marketplace. Please call this center for more information.
Connect with St. Mary’s Community Center
For more information on the programs offered at St. Mary’s Community Center, please call (912) 447-0578.
812 W. 36th St.
Savannah, Ga. 31415